By Vladimir Shlapentokh
Read Online or Download A Normal Totalitarian Society: How the Soviet Union Functioned and How It Collapsed PDF
Best russian history books
The USA's contribution to the making of the USSR used to be unintended. within the trust that the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic couldn't live on, American statesmen strove to maintain the previous Tsarist empire intact for a non-communist successor regime within the face of makes an attempt via different powers to carve out spheres of effect in either ecu and Asiatic Russia.
This worthy examine presents a special insider's view of the background of Soviet and Russian coverage on nuclear guns modernization and charts the longer term evolution of the Russian strategic arsenal. utilizing info that has only in the near past turn into on hand and introducing new, formerly unknown facts, Sokov concludes that an important strength at the back of the evolution of the Soviet and Russian strategic arsenal was once the army itself, which sought to extend strategic balance through improving the survivability of guns structures.
An unique and thought-provoking textual content, Russian and Soviet historical past makes use of noteworthy topics and critical occasions from Russian heritage to spark school room dialogue. inclusive of twenty essays written by means of specialists in every one region, the publication doesn't easily repeat the traditional topics present in approximately all Russian background texts, anthologies, and documentary compilations.
Russia is one of the world's major oil manufacturers, sitting atop the planet's 8th biggest reserves. Like different oil-producing countries, it's been profoundly remodeled via the oil undefined. within the Depths of Russia, Douglas Rogers deals a nuanced and multifaceted research of oil's position in Soviet and Russian lifestyles, in accordance with ethnographic fieldwork and archival study within the Perm quarter of the Urals.
- Neoliberalism, Accountability, and Reform Failures in Emerging Markets: Eastern Europe, Russia, Argentina, and Chile in Comparative Perspective
- The Bloody Triangle: The Defeat of Soviet Armor in the Ukraine, June 1941
- The Russian-Chechen Conflict 1800-2000: A Deadly Embrace (Soviet (Russian) Military Experience)
- Path of Thorns: Soviet Mennonite Life under Communist and Nazi Rule (Tsarist and Soviet Mennonite Studies)
- Governance of Biotechnology in Post-Soviet Russia (Global Issues)
- Historical Dictionary of the Crimean War (Historical Dictionaries of War, Revolution, and Civil Unrest)
Extra info for A Normal Totalitarian Society: How the Soviet Union Functioned and How It Collapsed
A Normal Totalitarian Society: How the Soviet Union Functioned and How It Collapsed by Vladimir Shlapentokh